Friday, April 10, 2020

Feline Rhythms

With all this time at home, I've become much more in tune with the daily rhythm of my two cats.  The dance begins around 7:30 or 8:00 when I awake to see four eyes staring at me waiting for the morning meal.

Once breakfast is over, I settle in with a cup of coffee and read over the news of the day.  Edgar, my aloof black cat sits nearby waiting for me to get up for a second cup so he can settle into the spot I've warmed up for him in the recliner.  From then on Edgar spends most of his day moving from perch to perch napping or watching the birds on the back patio.

Alice is a busy cat all morning.  She follows me around until she's tired enough to settle into her not so secret hiding spot in the closet where she is happy to snooze the day away.

As far as the cats go, there's not much else to their day.  I may be cleaning out closets or burning calories on the Wii but they are both content to sleep like cats do until about 5:00 pm.

After dinner, it's naptime again.  However, the one thing I've noticed is that the usually aloof Edgar is persistent about his need for attention.  No matter where I find a seat he is right next to me with his head butting whatever part of me he can find asking for a little scratch under the chin.

Even though I've figured out his needs it always surprises me as he is more of a "cat" than any cat I've lived with recently.  I quickly reach out my hand and give in to his needs- scratching the soft fur beneath his chin as he slowly closes his eyes and settles in for his evening nap.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds pretty good being Edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You capture their personalities so well! (But then, what else have you got to do?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The head-butting is a curious gesture, but one of affection I guess? They sound like comforting companions at such a time as this.

    ReplyDelete