Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Best Show Ever

I saw a cartoon about a week ago- it featured a man leaning on the back of the couch, looking out the window, with his dog.  The tagline read something like, "Now, I see why you got so excited when somebody walked by."

So, yeah, this is quarantine for many of us.  I spend most morning tied to my computer waiting to hear from students or waiting to join another online meeting.  I also spend part of the time looking out the back door along with my two cats.  Both cats get quite excited when a bird flies in for a stopover at the birdbath.  Young Alice can't contain herself and immediately starts squeaking as if to say, "Lucky for you that I'm behind this screen door!"

Stoic Edgar prefers to shrink down to the floor in a full cat crouch position as if ready to strike his prey.

Me?  I just like seeing all the things there are to see.  Today I got to see the usual Cardinals, Blue Jays and Robins- but there was also an American Goldfinch, a Red-bellied Woodpecker, and a beautiful fox. 

So, yes, I now understand why the felines in the house are impatient when it comes to me deciding to open the back door.

2 comments:

  1. You've communicated a mood of quiet, perceptive domesticity here - such a great way to embrace the current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have highlighted some simple pleasures that we will never take for granted again. I could hear Alice and picture Edgar perfectly!

    ReplyDelete