Thursday, April 16, 2020

Hide and Seek

My local grocery has a few new rules in place to help us all shop at a distance.  There are arrows in the aisles to guide us down the path that we should move through the store.  No surprise- there were a few people ignoring the aisles and going in whatever direction they saw fit.  I'm pretty sure they maneuver the parking lot in the same manner.

When it comes to checkout time there are identified distances for lining up.  So even if there are only two people ahead of me I may find myself lining up down a food aisle- creating a line length that is reminiscent of a winter storm approaching.

Yesterday I had to stand in the ice cream aisle for about 10 minutes.  I love ice cream.  I have no self-discipline so ice cream usually isn't allowed to make its way inside my house.  While waiting I checked out all the ice cream I would love to buy.  I even noted the tiny containers of Edy's Mint Chocolate Chip.  Perhaps I could buy a few of those and keep my ice cream eating under control?

No.  No, you couldn't.

I resisted and eventually made it out of the aisle.  Unfortunately, all the resistance I used for the ice cream made it impossible to walk past the 10-ounce bags of peanut M&Ms.  They were two for $7!  So I grabbed two and threw them on the conveyer belt.

Yeah, that was a bad idea. Two hours later I had already enjoyed three healthy handfuls of chocolate/peanut deliciousness.  I stopped myself when I went to reach for the fourth handful and threw them in a rarely opened cupboard- out of sight, out of mind.

It worked!  I didn't think about those treats again until this afternoon when I noticed the yellow ripped piece of plastic from the top of the bag.  I just ate another handful and then moved them to another cupboard.  No doubt I'll see them again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same nonexistent self-discipline when it comes to ice cream. I can feel the draw of the M&Ms with that vivid yellow bag.

    ReplyDelete