Monday, April 13, 2020

My Kind of Student

I have a new student in English these days...sort of.  While talking with my dad yesterday I told him about the upcoming poetry challenges my now online students will be tackling over the next few weeks. He was intrigued. Years ago I showed him the poem "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyons. I also gave him a copy of the template shared with students so they could create their own poems.

He was hooked and now his "Where I'm From" poem is framed in his home office.

My dad loves a good assignment.  At the age of 85, he understands the importance of having something to take care of each day.

This afternoon he got his first assignment- to write 3 haiku.  One thing I know for sure is that he is one student I won't be pestering about getting his work turned in.

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Your line about understanding the importance of something to take care of every day struck me because I feel like this whole experience is slowing us down and helping us understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t wait to see what Bob writes!

    ReplyDelete