Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Can I Get More Work To Make Up For The Work I DIdn't Do Before?

Spring conferences are this Friday. Since students are the star of the Student-led conference, interest in grades has increased in the past few days. 

It's not uncommon to see a dip in grades during the third quarter. Teachers expect more and some students would rather put effort into their social life than academic life. I expect I'll be getting a few extra emails tomorrow and Thursday asking for advice on the steps needed to bring up a grade.

Oh, if only these students knew about the days of extra credit. It was only a few years ago that those student procrastinators could wait until practically the zero-hour before a teacher waved a white flag of sorts- the extra credit assignment. I broke up with extra credit assignments over 10 years ago. 

When asked about such a thing I'd shake my head and ask, "So, you want me to give you work to bring up your grade? So you want to give me more work because you didn't do your work the first time around? Sorry, I'm not up for that."


4 comments:

  1. I never really knew of teachers who gave extra credit; however, my graduate students, who have not done the original work, often ask for extra credit to bring their grade up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed aloud at your title. They'll learn someday, won't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title of this post is the star of the show. I knew exactly what it would be about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your line "I broke up with extra credit..."

    ReplyDelete