Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Right Back At Ya

 For all the years I was in high school my mother's go-to wake-up call came from the bottom stair of those leading to the upstairs bedrooms.

"MAR-EEE!" she would yell, "IT'S TIME TO GET UP!"

It was not quite the June Cleaver method- more like calling pigs home after a long day on the farm.

If my bedroom door didn't open so she could see me walking to the bathroom round two came 3-4 minutes later.

"GET UP! GET UP! MAR-EEE! GET UP!" echoed in the hallway until I finally shuffled across the hall.

This morning, I finally got my payback. I was in Bel Air to take her to an early morning doctor's appointment. Honestly, the appointment was only early by her standards. I find a 10:00 am check-in time to be very civilized.

Last night she asked that I wake her up at 8:00 am.

"Really?" I replied.

I shook my head and asked, "Don't you have an alarm clock?"

I dislike waking people up, it's silly I know, but it seems like an adult should be able to get their ass out of bed on their own.

Walking over to her wing of the house this morning I felt a smile come across my face.

"MOM! MOM! IT'S TIME TO GET UP!" I screamed.

It took a turn or two, but eventually, I heard a groggy, "Okay."

As I turned to leave I pounded out one big bang on her bedroom door.

"I'm coming back in 15 minutes and you better be out of bed!"

Payback was 44 years in coming but it felt pretty good.


3 comments:

  1. I bet it felt good to give it back! My parents used to sneak a dog treat under my pillow, then let the dog in my room to sniff around my head…nothing wakes you up like a dog eager for his treat! Their theory was that their teenager wouldn’t snap at the dog like she would snap at them! They will get theirs when I have kids one day…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad you got your retribution- I’m not sure which side is worse, but I think it’s probably a little worse being the wake-ee than the waker. This reminds me of my mom yelling up the stairs for my whole school career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I 100% agree with you about waking up grown-ass adults. One time I had to go over to my MIL's house when she failed to answer multiple wake-up calls. I set off the alarm and had to see her naked. It was traumatic.

    ReplyDelete