Tuesday, March 19, 2024

They're Here!!

It's that time of year in the DC area. As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer the charter buses start appearing. The buses mean the kids aren't far behind. 

Large groups of teens are everywhere on their own annual trip to the nation's capital. I've already had my first spotting. A meandering line of teens moved toward white buses where smiling chaperones guided them toward the right chariot.

The kids were somewhat oblivious as they were busy looking at their phones while talking over one another. Just about every student was wearing a sweatshirt, no doubt recently purchased at one of the many vendors downtown. The more popular purchases read FBI, Lifeguard, Georgetown, and Washington, DC.

I stood outside the DSW at Pentagon Row shaking my head as I turned my attention to the chaperones. It really is something to take on such a trip. Being a teacher is hard enough when it's done for 7 hours in a classroom. Sure, I've done overnights to a local county-owned property, but the thought of doing it for 3 or 4 days at a time is something I can't conceive of. I felt like I should be passing mini bottles of spirits to each and every adult.

2 comments:

  1. "A meandering line of teens moved torward white buses..." This line vividly captures the scene. Yes, they deserve a little nip for their efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me glad I don’t live over there anymore. I appreciate your empathy and sentiment to the chaperones - I’m sure many would love that extra boost 🤣.

    ReplyDelete