Monday, March 9, 2020

Another Writer in the Family

Thanks to my niece- my dad, the secret writer, has been working on all kinds of writing projects over the last year and a half.  It was Christmas of 2018 that Megan gifted my dad a subscription to an online writing community.

Every month my dad receives a writing assignment, a question chosen by the gift giver or another family member.  These questions can be anything to What was one of your most memorable birthdays to the one he answered today, What was your wedding day like?

My dad is 85 years old.  Lately, he's reported having a hard time finding his words.  His monthly writing assignments give him a daily purpose as he spends time trying to get his thoughts together.  He takes the time to review files on his computer and works intently to make sure each word is just the right fit.

On the occasion of his 80th birthday, my dad sat back and smiled.  He went on to say that the one thing he always dreamed of as a kid was to grow up and have a family of his own.  His writing celebrates the family he knew as a young man growing up in Baltimore.  

I consider myself lucky to get a glimpse into those memories and am thankful that he was given the opportunity to write them down.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your dad - and what a wonderful glimpse into his world. Thanks for sharing Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most beautiful gifts I have ever heard of, for your dad and for all of you. Did your niece take a chance, hoping he would write, or did she have some kind of intel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The power of writing--this is an inspiring example. You set an awesome example for your dad, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! I started a journal for my grand kids but I would love to know more stories from my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob the writer is lucky to have an audience who treasures his words. Go family!

    ReplyDelete