Saturday, March 14, 2020

Rule Breakers Since High School

I kept a dinner date with an old friend tonight.  Ed was back in our hometown from San Diego to oversee some health problems with his father.  I drove up 95 early this morning to visit my parents and meet up for a meal with the guy who I first met in my 9th-grade Russian class over 40 years ago.

The Tidewater Grille has a view of the Susquehanna River right before it meets the head of the Chesapeake Bay.  On any other Saturday night, especially one right before St. Patrick's Day, the place would have been full of people enjoying seafood dinners. That wasn't the case tonight as it seems most people decided that staying in was best for all. 

That meant great service for us and a table front and center with a view.  After dinner, a trip to the empty bar for a nightcap allowed for more talk time and the appropriate social distance.  A walk down the main street found the two of us feeling like we were the only ones around- even the Irish bar across the street was looking lonely.

I can't complain about having a quiet restaurant with a great view to catch up with a good buddy.  Tonight is most likely the last outing for awhile. Tomorrow night I'll be back home following all the rules for appropriate social contact for who knows how long.

2 comments:

  1. It's always a great to catch up with an old tovarich (I don't know Cyrillic, so that's phonetic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your description of how it felt to be there - kind of eerie, but also quietly inviting.

    ReplyDelete