Monday, March 30, 2020

Waiting Patiently

I've been keeping my own spreadsheet of numbers on the Covid-19 virus.  It was probably a mere 4 weeks ago that I started looking at the CDC website each day.  I was, and still am, intrigued by the changing color of the US map and the daily posting of numbers.  How many cases overall?  How many deaths?  How many states reporting cases?

A friend thinks it's kind of creepy and maybe it is.  For me, it's a way to have some control over the situation.  Watching the numbers climb isn't easy but I feel it's the only way I'll be able to also see them start their steady decline.   Once I see those numbers begin to tumble I know I'll feel my anxiety level tumble as well.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how we find comfort in our areas of strength? Math is not mine. I hate the numbers. But I am glad you find comfort in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share a love of spreadsheets. I think one of the things I will miss the most this year is the EOY spreadsheet showing the reading growth of students at my school. Data is empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And please keep us posted. Given the array of news alerts we scroll through every day, I consider you to be a trusted source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the opposite response to news and maps, but I'm sure glad to hear your report!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have got to check out Avi Schiffmann, an 11th grader in Washington State who has been tracking it since the end of December. I just read about him in The New Yorker today.

    ReplyDelete