Friday, March 13, 2020

Finally

I. Am. Exhausted.

For the last two weeks, my colleagues and I have wondered about possible school closures. 

Yesterday we planned online learning options. 

Today we waited...and waited...and waited for an announcement about school closings.  I went over the "what if..." plan with my students and waited some more.  Finally, at noon today, the word came down that school would be closed until after our scheduled Spring Break in April.  Relief washed over me-- I finally had an answer!

I survived the last class of the day.  The class where I tried my best to keep the attention of 20 sixth graders who were in front of me but who were clearly thinking about a month away from school.  They were excited and sad because as nice as a month off may seem the reality of being away from their friends isn't fun for most of them.

At the end of the day, I did a cursory straightening of the piles on my desk, packed up my spider plant and walked out in search of a long afternoon nap.


3 comments:

  1. Rest well! I'm with you about being worn out by the news, the waiting, and the wondering. Now we know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you just reminded me of my plants! I forgot to water my dear plants for this extended shut down. Oh my, this is so sad. I am overusing this word: surreal. It is good to be past the 'waiting' but now we step into a new unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally relate to the "cursory straightening of the piles on my desk" as I was just ready to walk out at the end of our day, too.

    ReplyDelete