Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Canine Adjustments

My sister's dogs, Lana and Bailey, are exhausted.  Perhaps some readers also have canines experiencing similar pandemic exhaustion. 

Lana and Bailey have it pretty good.  Each morning before Jeen heads off to work she takes her two labs, one black and one yellow, out for a walk around the yard.   Sometime later, around noon or so, my mother comes over and lets them outside again.  Mumsey, as she is known to most everyone these days, sits on the front porch while the two dogs run around a bit.  Mumsey is always packing treats so they also spend a good deal of time laying at her feet looking cute- the kind of cute that makes a person give you another treat.  The rest of their day is spent laying around waiting for people to come home.

What must it be like to be a dog who goes from being home for a good part of the day- who goes from sleeping the day away- to a day of all their humans being there all the time?

Oh yeah, there is a lot of butt wiggling and tail wagging going on up at Lana and Bailey's house.  They are happy to have their pack together all day long.  But they are also missing those daytime naps.  They are missing the couch space that has been taken up by the humans. 

No matter, Lana and Bailey have also discovered that the humans don't mind when they cuddle up with them on the couch.  Also, human laps make for great pillows.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this! I think my cats are exhausted too--constant opportunities for play and cuddles when they are used to napping alone! Of course they also seem to be becoming quickly spoiled to having us here to dote on them all day! I am glad that Lana and Bailey know just where to find a good pillow when they're tired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny--it hadn't occurred to me yet that we're probably cramping Allie's style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure! Gwennie is adjusting to us being home, but my old gal Ella is quite discombobulated at it all:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole thing going on is screaming to me: ITS TIME TO GET THE DOG YOU'VE BEEN WANTING! How I wish I had one at home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have a dog currently and lately I've been feeling like if we are going to be home for months it might be a really good idea. I could just imagine all the happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am feeling the pull to get a dog...to get me out and walking during the day. Your writing seriously tempted me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the perspective you imagine for Lana and Bailey, and I bet you hit it spot on. Our dog has been getting a little extra exercise and attention, most of it welcome, but it's true: her quiet weekday naps are on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dog has never been more exhausted. She's getting some extreme walks, since walking her is my best excuse to get out into the sun!

    ReplyDelete