Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Attention Deserved

I pulled up to the light and sized up the young women standing in the median with a sign in her hand.  It read "Military family.  Single mom.  Anything helps."  Her blue backpack rested at the end of the median while she stared straight ahead into the line of traffic. 

Her golden brown hair was pulled back in a tight bun.  Honestly, if it weren't for the sadness and pain showing in her face she could have been mistaken for a mom heading to the gym after work.  Her outfit may have said exercise class, but her face, wrinkled and red from the sun painted a picture of desperation.

It's easy to look away from someone in trouble.  It's easy to turn up the music, pretend to look for something in the console, or even file your nails.  What's hard, what's really hard is to look them in the eye and see them...really see them.

As I sat watching I wondered about the path she had taken to this point.  What happened?  Where does she go each evening?  How hard was it that first day when she took a marker and a piece of cardboard to tell her story?  How hard was it to step onto that median?

Seeing her- really taking the time to see her made me sad and grateful at the same time.  Even so, I'm glad I took the time to look because she deserves that.  The next time I'm heading taking a left on Glebe Rd. I'll be sure to have a little something to help her out.

5 comments:

  1. We have so many of these in Denver. I always wonder about their stories. I try to help when I can, but it never seems like enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember guys I served with were on food stamps. The military pays so little it was near impossible for them to raise a young family. It set some of them up for failure when they get out. Sad to see, hard to know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How hard was it that first day when she took a marker and a piece of cardboard to tell her story?

    That line really got me-- those are the concrete details we try to teach our students about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is heart-wrenching writing. Brilliant post, but so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. umm - Glebe and 2nd street? I'll be there too.

    ReplyDelete