Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Baltimore 1969

Joe Flacco, the former quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens, said his goodbyes to the city today.  I'm sad to see him go but realize it's time for a change with the team.

I always liked Flacco, but he doesn't come even close to my first sports crush in Baltimore.  My first crush was named Brooks- yes, Brooks Robinson.

The late 60s were big years for Baltimore baseball and my family was big on baseball.  Elrod Hendricks, Dave McNally, Paul Blair, Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson, and Boog Powell were familiar names to me in 3rd grade.  It was Brooks and Boog that gave me the trouble back then. 

The trouble was I couldn't figure out which name to use for the kitten that would be coming home with me courtesy of my third-grade teacher.  The decision weighed heavily on my mind. To this day I can picture myself walking up Pinnter Rd. toward Ridgely Junior High wrestling with the decision.  Would it be Boog?  Would it be Brooks?  It was too much to decide!

So, I didn't choose either.  Thankfully, there was one other media star I was familiar with at the time and his name was one the whole family could agree with.  The tiny gray kitten I hugged all the way home from school would be called Morris.

Years later, I had the opportunity to talk with Boog Powell at an Orioles game.  We chatted for a few minutes and I told him all about the names I considered back in 1969.

"They always name their kids Brooks, and their dogs Boog," he laughed.

Perhaps he was relieved to hear the name I settled on.  If I run into him again, I'll be sure to let him know about my brother's dog- a beagle- named Brooks.  I think Boog would like that.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your description of your decision process. I could see you walking down the road toward the middle school, deep in thought. Enjoy the beginning of a new baseball season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The child you is so engaging!

    (What would Edgar Allen Poe think of your current cat name?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you got to share the whole story with him in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you go back in time! fun read!

    ReplyDelete