Sunday, March 10, 2019

On A Whim

On a whim, I decided to text an old friend to see if she wanted to come along with me for a little trip to Ikea.  This friend and I used to spend a bunch of time together when we were in our 20s and early 30s.  Recently, it's been harder to connect.  Jobs, kids, and life in general make the spur of the moment idea a difficult one to follow through on.

 I waited awhile for a reply and then started gathering my things to leave.  The sound of an incoming text took me a little by surprise.

"I feel like I am playing hooky.  Could you pick me up...  what time...  I'm so excited..."

Twenty minutes later we were in the car and on our way.

We spent our afternoon much like we would have 20 years ago-wandering aimlessly, looking around, and talking the entire time.  Instinctually, we stop at just about the same items.  Making note of backsplash in an Ikea kitchen.  Noting how the rooms have no papers, magazines, or empty glass cluttering up the view like the rooms in our own houses.

Once we had strolled our way through Ikea we headed for home but made time to stop in for lunch at a favorite Mexican restaurant.

I was home by about 4:00 this afternoon, happy with my new dining room chairs and even happier to reconnect with a good friend.


5 comments:

  1. I just read in another slice a quote that sounded like 'friends are like jewels, polished they become beautiful and enduring.' whilst I was reading it another phrase came to mind, "For old times sake." Friends are truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Mary. I love the reference to your younger selves - not that much changed, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so nice!! I miss some of my friends from 20 years ago. I need to get on a plane to see most of them. I'm glad you and your friend were able to connect today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you acted on that whim. What fun to spend time with an old friend and to realize that you still connect over the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet way to spend the shortest Sunday afternoon of the year!

    ReplyDelete