Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Beauty Sleep

Years ago, my friend Robin was that one in the group who was never ready to go to sleep.  If a bunch of us friends were together, she'd be the one I'd blame for my 3 or 4 hours of sleep.

"I need sleep!" I'd cry.

"Sleep?" she would question.  "You'll sleep when you're dead."

Oh, the minds of twenty-somethings.

Fast forward 35 years and the two of us are chatting on the phone about our early bedtimes.

"I was in bed at 9:00 on Friday night," I confessed.

"I was right there with you honey," she laughed.

I reminded her of her sleep mantra of years past.

"Yea, I guess we better change that to...," she hesitated.

"You'll sleep when you're in your fifties!" I finished.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome way to close your slice, threading the entire piece together with that play on dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this slice makes me feel like maybe I'm aging at a more rapid rate than most. Is your friend also a teacher? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life Lesson: Things just aren't as much fun when you're tired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I feel like I'm staying up late if I'm still awake at 9:00!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This slice reminded me of all of those crazy teenage sleepovers where no one went to bed until the wee hours of the morning. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad always said, "Nothing good happens after midnight." Sure took the fun out of slumber parties.

    ReplyDelete