It seems as though with all that cleaning up I did the other day I went ahead and cleaned up the keys that lock my back door. There's nothing like spending 30 minutes looking for something to tax one's brain. Eventually I gave up and came to the conclusion that the keys most likely got thrown out along with a pile of junk mail that I tossed on Thursday morning.
My memory may be lacking at times these days but fortunately I'm still handy with a screwdriver. After a bit of handy work I was able to dismantle the lock and open the door. Unfortunately this meant I was also going to need to install a new door lock. No fear, I thought, I've done it once before so certainly I can do it again. Right?
Sort of. After an excursion to the local Home Depot I started in on my project. For some reason things were not fitting together as easily as they were detailed on the instruction sheet. I reread all the directions, pulled everything apart, and tried again only to come up short once more.
A few hours later I have been able to jerry-rig a solution. So for now, the door locks and closes as it should. I can't say it's a beautiful example of my home fix-it skills, but at least it's functional.
It will do for now and tomorrow I'll try again.
A Reflection on Eight Years of Slicing, Briefly - This was my eighth year slicing - and in reflection, it hasn't gotten any easier. But, it's not gotten harder, either. Just like our students, selecting ...
9 months ago