Sunday, March 3, 2013

Show Time

After a quick drive up the interstate I found myself back in my old high school for a performance of the school's spring musical.  This time it was a wonderful interpretation of Disney's Aladdin.  Yes, there was music, dancing, a blue genie and general merriment.  It wasn't as big a production as the fall show but the smaller cast gave it their all and the audience was treated to a show full of energy and fun.

Thirty-two years later the auditorium looks pretty much the same as it did when I worked the stage crew for our production of Fiddler on the Roof.  The sets look a tad fancier these days but the smiles and shrieks of the cast at the end of the show are just as wide and loud as they were back in my day.  

3 comments:

  1. I've been back to see shows at my high school auditorium. Since my graduation in '87, the high school has built a new campus, and a college actually took over the early 20th century buildings and has refurbed the theater. It takes me back over 25 years whenever I enter the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun, Mary. I love your last line - of course the smiles and shrieks are the same, some things about kids don't change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the last line... I wonder, 32 years later, what has changed and what has stayed the same for you? There's probably also a lyric or two that applies here... "Sunrise, Sunset" perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete