Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Talking To Myself

Speaking of getting a little help from your friends- I got another boost today.  You see, I've been dealing with some medical stuff lately, which has caused my energy level to sink to an all time low.  Low energy means it takes that much more self-motivation to get my arse out the door and moving.

Confession:  I've been driving my gym bag around town way too much lately.

This morning I had a little chat with myself.  Actually, it wasn't so much a discussion as an order.

Mary, you will exercise today.  No. matter. what.

This afternoon I realized that I a friend who stays with me when she's in the area for work was coming back into town this evening.  And although she offered to stop at the store and pick up something for dinner I already had a pretty substantial list going in my head. So I knew that I was going to have to watch out for that little voice that often tries to steer me away from exercise and toward the couch.

Uh, oh...if you go to the grocery store you'll never have enough time for exercise.  I mean you also have to make dinner.  You have guests!  That means you can't just shovel down a bowl of bran flakes and call it dinner.  

Oh, yes, I can be rather convincing.

The best defense is a good offense, isn't that way they say?  With that thought in mind I walked into my local Giant and headed straight for the produce section.  I picked up some green leaf lettuce, Romaine, spinach, peppers and other assorted salad goodies.  At least if I did talk myself out of exercise there would be salad- and Teriyaki chicken.

Connie arrived just about the time I was putting the last of the groceries away.

"Hey, I don't know what you're thinking," she started, "but it's so nice outside I'm thinking about throwing on my sneakers and going for a walk before dinner."

"Yes." I smiled.

Now what was it you were saying?

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Sometimes we need a friend to help us get over our self-talk. I love how you talk to yourself - I do it all the time - I thought I was crazy! Thanks for a great slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - glad you were able to take care of yourself as well as everything else you do!

    ReplyDelete