Saturday, March 16, 2013

Gas Station Art

I spent about an hour today hanging out in a local service station and noted some interesting goings on.  To begin with, have you ever noticed the hodgepodge of decor that adorns many a gas station?  While spending time at Gray's Automotive I noticed a Redskins pennant autographed by former owner Jack Kent Cooke.  The faded piece of memorabilia had been framed along with a picture of Mr. Cooke, the gas station owner and a girl I presume was his daughter.  Next to the pennant and picture was a card handwritten in thick, black magic marker, it read:  Jack Kent Cooke was here.  The date of the visit was included as well.  As I said it was framed, what I didn't say was the framing was really nothing more than all three items behind a piece of glass surrounded by a brown wooden border.

Next to the Jack Kent Cooke tribute was an out of place hunting-like print of a gathering of deer in the forest. It had been set in an ornate wooden gold frame.  Yup, it was quite a sight to behold next to the jugs of blue wiper fluid.

The last piece in the collection was a print of a pink cherry blossom.  The owner is Japanese so I can only guess it was a nod to his ancestry. 

In the meantime, I'm thinking about offering up some sort of art for car repair deal.

2 comments:

  1. You took some time to notice the small details and made something of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm going to have to pay more attention the next time I'm in a gas station. I never thought of looking for art on the walls there. I wonder what other unexpected places might have art as well.

    ReplyDelete