Saturday, March 25, 2023

A Different Saturday

This rainy Saturday started like most Saturdays. My eyes opened when they were ready and I had the first load of laundry going before I walked downstairs for coffee. Eventually, I made it back upstairs to deal with the growing piles of clothes, some dirty, some not, that had been growing on the loveseat in my bedroom. 

Once the clothes were sorted and off to their next destination I laced up my sneakers and headed down to the gym for a little cycling. After getting permission from my physical therapist I ended my exercise session with a little elliptical time.

By 3:00 PM laundry was done and the house was sort of tidy, and my afternoon would have gone on like a lot of Saturday afternoons- me procrastinating grading by thinking up things to research on the internet.

This Saturday afternoon was going to be different, I needed to get myself cleaned up for a friend's arrival around 4:30. Julie and I were heading across the river for dinner and a play.

We took in a show called, "This Girl Laughs, This Girl Cries, This Girl Does Nothing" at the Anacostia Playhouse. It was a coming-of-age play about three sisters, abandoned in the woods by their father. They, in turn, go off into the world to find their passions.  There were sad moments, tender moments, and laugh-out-loud moments. Thanks to the intimacy of the black box theater there wasn't a bad seat in the house. 

So maybe this day started off like many others, but it didn't end that way. I like that.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, good job tackling that laundry! The grades can wait because the play sounds like it was awesome. And dinner too. I'm glad you had a different kind of Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner and a play beats grading any day! Glad you had such a good Saturday!

    ReplyDelete