Thursday, March 9, 2023

Continuing in the Family Tradition

I didn't find out until later in life that my great-grandfather was a teacher. My grandmother was about 90 years old when she told me.

My brother is a teacher and so is my sister. Yesterday, I listened as my niece, Mary, told me all about the math lesson she taught to a group of 3rd graders.  Mary will be the next teacher in the family. She's still in school and somehow juggling classes, part-time bartending, and two different practicums. 

Schooling hasn't come easy for Mary. She's the kind of girl who has to work extremely hard to stay organized and to get things done. I marvel at the way she has just plugged along one step at a time.

When learning doesn't come easy it's common to list what a person doesn't do well. I know Mary came up against a few teachers who only looked at her deficits. Yes, she may be easily distracted but she's also the girl you want if you need someone to read a map. She had a hard time learning to read, but she has a gift for storytelling- especially when it comes to all the crazy stuff that happens with the bar regulars on any given night.

As Mary told me about the small group math lesson she helped with I beamed. How awesome is it that Mary, who struggled with learning for so long, will be in a classroom to help those who struggle? 

I'd say it's damn awesome.


4 comments: