Thursday, March 2, 2023

Signs From Above

 I lost a good friend to cancer back in the fall and boy do I miss her. Fortunately, she showed up in a dream the other night. I've experienced similar dreams with other friends I've lost in the past and it always seems that I'm aware that it's a dream reunion and I try my hardest to make the dream last as long as possible. 

This dream visit was made even more remarkable because my friend had another of our lost friends with her. How wonderful it was to see both Kathy and Martha. I recall that Martha didn't say anything but had her always-present smile. Kathy made sure to tell me that she was doing okay.

Seeing them both brought me a smile and a tinge of sadness. The dream stayed with me for a few days and then faded into wherever dreams go.

I suppose many of us look for signs when we've lost those we love. Maybe it's a rainbow or a butterfly, or a bluebird that comes out of nowhere. Later that week I was walking through the local Barnes and Noble when out of nowhere came a patron walking with her huge St. Bernard. I laughed. Kathy is the only person I've ever known who preferred a St. Bernard as her pet. She had two, Elsa and Winter, in the 25 years I knew her.

And then, if that completely out-of-place St. Bernard wasn't enough of a hello from beyond, I had one more last week. After turning out the kitchen lights before heading up to bed I walked into the living room to find one single electric candle twinkling in the group of three that sat on my coffee table. The remote was nowhere to be found.  I let out a gasp, looked up above, and smiled feeling comforted.

I miss Kathy, but it seems like we'll be staying in touch.

3 comments:

  1. Just love this piece. Chills up and down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - so lucky to have these moments and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They’re smiling at you. Thank goodness for these moments.

    ReplyDelete