Friday, March 24, 2023

A Study in Pink

I caught a quick glimpse of the cherry blossoms that surround the Tidal Basin in DC as the bus returned from our field trip to the Nation's Capital on Wednesday. On that day they were close to peak bloom. Talk of the cherry blossoms begins early in the DC area. It was about a month ago that local newscasters started talking about when peak bloom may arrive. Of course, those dates change as much as the weather does around here, so to be downtown on a beautiful day with 70% of the trees in bloom is quite a thing. Unfortunately, I never got a closer view since my group was hanging out at the Air and Space Museum.

I've seen the splendor of pink that surrounds the Tidal Basin many times. When I was working at the nearby Smithsonian Institution it was easy to stroll over during lunch hour.  Some years, I've pedaled my way into town, locked up my bike near the Jefferson Memorial, and taken my time to walk all the way around the Tidal Basin to enjoy a variety of views through my camera lens.

It's hard to tell if I'll get down before the blooms disappear this year. Whatever happens, I can take solace in the beautiful tree that was in full, 100% bloom outside of the window at physical therapy this afternoon. I took in all the shades of pink for ten minutes as I cycled away on the recumbent bike.

3 comments:

  1. This made me recall one of my own memories when I was once in physical therapy. A very similar view, but mine was a beautiful blooming lilac bush. I remember feeling like I could smell it from inside the colors were so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tidal Basin never disappoints, but since it can be such a pain to get there you’re smart to remember that there are cherry blossoms elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cherry blossoms are lovely, and reminds me that here in New York there's a small park with Japanese cherry trees. I will check them out tomorrow — if it isn't raining.

    ReplyDelete