Saturday, March 4, 2023

Getting Things Done Together

My niece lives on what has to be the cutest little street I've seen in DC.  Walter Street is only one block long but has a real community feel.

At the end of Walter Street, on the 12th street side, stands an old run-down building- Mott's Market. A quick internet search tells me that some sort of corner market has sat on that site since 1912. Mott's closed down in March of 2022 marking the end of the corner market in the neighborhood. Corner markets are few and far between in DC. Even so, the market was special to the area residents. So special, that a group came together to buy and hopefully, save the market.

Today as we walked by the building, my niece told me how residents, many on her own street, came together to buy the property. They liked the idea of a market they could send their kids off to when they found themselves in need of a last-minute loaf of bread or container of milk.

So far, the group of buyers has been holding small events in the space. There was a Mardi Gras party a few weeks back and some sort of wine event tonight. The next step is to find a tenant to lease the space and bring their little market back.

That's quite a community.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I need to find out which quadrant. My sister’s off 12th, and I love visiting her there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that’s community. I hope the corner market lives to see generations more of kids running in for last-minute bread and milk!

    ReplyDelete