Thursday, March 3, 2022

Ash Wednesday For Dummies

During TA (we always called it homeroom) on Wednesday, the talk was about Ash Wednesday. My TA is a pretty diverse group- quite a few religions, races, and ethnic groups are represented. For example, Caleb always keeps us up to date on everything regarding his Jewish faith. We got a daily update throughout Hanukkah of all the evening festivities. This week he proudly informed us that Ukraine leader, Volodymyr Zelensky, is Jewish (and yes he won Dancing With the Stars too).

This week, Lena filled us in on the ins and outs of Ash Wednesday and Lent. 

"Today is Ash Wednesday," she announced as she entered the room.

Caleb asked, "What's that all about?"

Well," Lena replied, "it's a Catholic thing. We can't eat meat today or on Fridays during Lent. We have to give something up for all of Lent and on Easter, we have a big feast."

I think the nuns I had at St. Joseph's Elementary would have a few more details to add. But, honestly, at the age of 11, that pretty much sums up Ash Wednesday and all that goes with the Lenten season.

4 comments:

  1. I would agree that your title sums up you student's lesson. She is obviously a foodie as well as a Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, there's more? I grew up Catholic, but I might need a refresher course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't remember the topic ever coming up before, but today I had a couple of kids who were lamenting that they had given up sweets for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be an interesting time during homeroom. It sounds like the children are respectful listeners and sharers. I learned something from Caleb today--that the president of Ukraine won DWTS in Ukraine. (I'm praying for him!)

    ReplyDelete