Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Leave My Clock Alone, Please

I planned well for the change to Daylight Saving Time on Sunday. At about 5:00 pm Saturday night, I moved the two kitchen clocks forward one hour. My hope was that getting an early start on my lost hour would prompt me to go to bed earlier, and in turn, make the next day easier.

When traveling I use the same technique to adjust to any time changes. For example, when I flew to Las Vegas a few years ago I quickly adjusted my old-fashioned watch to the new time zone. This practice allows me to embrace whatever time zone I'm in from the get-go. My traveling partner back then had a different approach. She preferred to state the time like, "Well, it's 2:30...but it's really 5:30." Not surprisingly, that same friend was ready for bed at 7:00 pm (really 10:00pm).

I can't say I've enjoyed the time change, getting to school with the sun just thinking about rising, but I'm adjusting.

That being said...this whole idea that we stay on Daylight Saving Time forever and never go back to Standard Time is something I can't wrap my head around. In a month, sunrise will be back to a very civilized 6:30 am and yes, those long days will have the sun setting closer to 8:00 pm. So much daylight to enjoy!

However, when I look ahead to November I see the possibility of sunrise at 8:40 am if we stick with DST. 

This teacher can not rally for darkness or twilight as so many students walk along sidewalks and streets to get to school. Besides, engaging kids on a Monday morning is hard enough. I don't want to think about what it would be like to attempt to engage them on a dark Monday morning.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you. Too many changes to digest at a time, even if you plan ahead like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If our start time is 9:10? No problem.

    ReplyDelete