Wednesday, March 9, 2022

It Only Took A Laugh

My dad died on the 9th of September, and since then the 9th of every month has become a reminder of that event for my mother. Seven months later, I know if it's the 9th I should be sure to take a moment to check in with Mom to see how she's doing. After all, one of the very last things I ever said to my dad was, "don't worry, we'll all take care of Mom."

It's a difficult promise to keep at times, but I still take it very seriously. My mom has lost her rudder. She's missing the part of her whole being that always kept her on a steady path. This is not to say she can't make her own way but after more than 60 years of marriage, it's hard to imagine how that happens when you've always had a partner to depend on each day. I know I'll never be that for her, but I want to make sure I understand the days she may need a bit more support. The 9th of each month is one of those days.

I called this afternoon and she told me she had not dressed today. "It's okay, Mom. It's a cold, rainy day and your leg has been bothering you, so it really is best to stay in."

"I know," she replied. "I've been thinking about your dad today and..."

I cut her off. "I've been thinking about him too. And you know what I've been thinking?"

"What?" she replied.

I continued, "I've been thinking, he would absolutely flip if he knew how expensive gas was right now! I mean, he would not even know what to say!"

She laughed. "You're right about that!"

With that laugh, I knew that even though she would never recover from losing her husband, she just might be able to figure out how to get through some days without him.

4 comments:

  1. This is touching. I love how you included your conversation with your mom in this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you shared this sweet exchange with your mom. As a reader I was bracing for a sad moment but your humor made the reader (and your mom!) smile- it was a welcomed twist. Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re a good daughter, Mary. And Your dad would be right— gas is outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for you. I can imagine when you’ve lost your rudder, you’re going to need backup.

    ReplyDelete