Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Interrupted Silence

One thing you don't expect when working after contract hours is a fire drill. It was just about 30 minutes after the last bell. I was settled in at my desk trying to get ahead of some work for the next unit when the alarm pierced the silence in my classroom.

I thought about trying to work through it but quickly stopped to consider that perhaps there was really a fire somewhere in the building. 

Two computers were open on my desk with a few papers scattered about. What if it really was a fire and I couldn't get back into my classroom? My car keys were in my pocket, so I quickly grabbed my bag and wallet and headed outside. I left my desk the mess that it was.

Once I got out of the building I noticed one of my English 6 colleagues. 

"Is this how they find out who's working late?" I laughed.

There was no fire. Once the all-clear was given I went back inside long enough to clean up my desk and headed back out into the sunshine and blue skies with a long walk on my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, fire drills after school hours break your peace, especially when you are settled into finishing off something in particular.

    This question made me laugh too;"Is this how they find out who's working late?" I laughed"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, glad it was a false alarm. This was a chuckle of a post though, your colleague's comment was funny. A long walk sounds nice after a long work day.

    ReplyDelete