Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Independent Workers

 My students are busy filming their own commercials this week. That means they are out of class, set up around the building working as hard as a small group of 6th graders can work. I'm sure there is a lot of silliness in the hallways and I'm okay with that. 

The commercial project is the time of the year when the students start working in a more independent manner. Sure, there will be some shenanigans but what I like best is that when I go around and check in with each group they are all having a great deal of fun.

When I'm not walking around the school checking with each group I'm hanging in the classroom. From my desk, I'm within earshot of a group working in the classroom and another working in the team area. I can help students with any problems they are having or offer up a prop they might need. 

For the most part, no one needed a thing. And although it's a strange feeling not to be directing my students through their activities it feels pretty good.

6 comments:

  1. I think your class sounds amazing. I can just picture little creative minds buzzing and working together. My daughter's pathway in high school is film primarily because of an inspiring teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How satisfying it feels to set students up for success! I hope the commercials turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers open the doors, but you must [exit] by yourself. — Chinese Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome project! Your post speaks volumes about your philosophy of teaching and your management skills. It is clear that your students know what is expected of them; yet know that they can still be 12 and 13 year olds. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for this project. This is such a great way to start gently widening their circle of independence.

    ReplyDelete