Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Detour

Heading home from physical therapy this afternoon I considered my options. I could head on home or I could take a quick jaunt into DC to check out the Cherry Blossoms around the Tidal Basin showing off their peak bloom. With rain forecast the next two days I headed over the Roosevelt Bridge to get a glimpse of the show.

Fortunately, DC and I are long-time friends so parking was no big deal. From my spot at 18th and E, it was an easy 15-minute walk over to the canopy of trees that rim the Tidal Basin. I crossed over Independence Avenue and entered the scene through the Mountain of Despair entry portal at the MLK Memorial. Blue skies abounded above creating a perfect backdrop for the white and pink blooms that had indeed exploded everywhere.

Most years I try to walk around to the Jefferson Memorial before continuing around toward the peddle boats and the Washington Monument in the distance. This afternoon, I decided to keep it simple. From the memorial, I hooked a left and walked along the water until I was forced to exit near a bridge. There were plenty of photo-worthy blossoms along the way.

An hour later, I was back at my car content with the decision I had made and feeling happy to live so close to such a great little city.

3 comments:

  1. This is my mantra! Let's just see how fast we can park--it's part of the challenge, and we always succeed. How lucky are we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you got down to see the blossoms. Your descriptions are fabulous - I especially like the movement in "Blue skies abounded...for the white and pink blooms that had indeed exploded..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great decision! Blue skies and pink blossoms: such a perfect way to spend an hour on a sunny, spring afternoon.

    ReplyDelete