Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Early Morning Talk

As a group, sixth graders can be self-obsessed. Nothing matters as much as themselves. 

Every morning, I watch in wonder as a few of the kids in my homeroom "converse" with one another. The part that perplexes me every time is that if three kids are conversing it merely means they are all talking at the same time. From my vantage point, it appears that no one is listening to anyone else. The talk usually revolves around some game they are playing and how many whatchamacallits they collected, or traded, or something. No one seems to care that their own words fall on deaf ears. Perhaps because if it's not about them then...?

It's no real surprise that the same small group of early morning talkers are the same ones that often miss what is said in class. Now, if only I could figure out a way to present those English lessons in a way that each student felt the lesson revolved around him or her.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm laughing at your group - it's so typical of 6th graders to talk over each other. They are my favorites at middle school

    ReplyDelete
  2. True slice! This made me smile, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when you figure it out, we will launch a parade in your honor!

    ReplyDelete